Home
About Us
Membership
Events & News
Old Chronicles
Historical Sites
Photo Gallery
 
Photo Gallery
 

These historic photos of Columbia, AL chronicle the storied past of our proud river town in southeast Alabama. Columbia rests on the banks of the Chattahoochee River and presents a collage of sights, sounds and people rich in their heritage and willing to tell their story.  Before your next visit to Columbia, please take time to enjoy a visual walk through our photo gallery below.

 

Click on any image for a larger view


Street scene in Columbia

Will Armstrong of Columbia in buggy.
 
 

Yoke of Oxen pulling a wagon in Columbia.

Columbia drug store ca. 1900.
 
 

Street scene in Columbia in 1920s.

"Sally," statue at main intersection in Columbia.
 
 

Yoke of oxen, smarter than residents, standing in the shade in Columbia.

Rogers farmhouse at Williams' Station near Columbia
   

J. B. Taylor family home on Washington St. in Columbia.  Photo taken on Dec. 13, 1934 as part of the Historic American Building Record, a WPA project to employ architects and photographers during the Depression.

Home of Dr. and Mrs. Clarence Lee Conner Atkinson on North main, Columbia.
   

North Main Street, Columbia, AL 1909

Columbia Bridge
 
 

Porch of Purcell-Killingsworth House, now the Garden Path Inn

Purcell-Killingsworth House, now the Garden Path Inn
 
 

Columbia Methodist Church

Mabel and Euffie Weems, first graduates of Columbia Colored School in 1941.  Photo from Dorothy Brown of Dothan.
 
 

Dr. John Fletcher Yarborough's sanitarium in Columbia, built in 1915 to treat pellagra.

Columbia Baptist Church as it appeared ca. 1884.
 
 

Columbia Presbyterian Church, from a postcard.

Karl Oakley of Columbia, eight years old, ca. 1890.
 
 

1905 Methodist picnic at Woods Mill near Columbia.

1896 image of a group at what is now Omussee Creek Park near Columbia.  identified on far right is W. L. Lee, talking with Ellen Thomas.  The two later wed.
 
 

1902 photograph of an outing to Blewitt's Mill.  Pictured L-to-R, front = Walt Bowden and Bert Myers; rear row = Clarkie Purcell Crapps, Thornie Beach, Fannie Thompson, Charlie Freeman, Annie Wood Bowden, Minnie Yarborough, Colbert McGriff.

Group at the fish trap at Blewitt's Mill, Thanksgiving Day, 1895.  man in the center, facing the camera is Samuel Murphy Dunwoody.
 
 

Group of guys hanging around "Sally."  The statue is named for the Salmagundi Club, a women's club of Columbia which paid for the statue.
 
 
 

Horse Race in Columbia - July 4, 1906.

Outing at the old Columbia cotton factory.
 
 

The Columbia "Owl Club" which gathered in the drugstore for social activities, ca. 1898.  Officers, possibly pictured, included Wood Beach, pres; Colbert McGriff, VP; Lee McGriff, sect.; York McGriff, treas; Y. Conner, Ways & Means.

Cars on South Main, Columbia
 
 

Members of the Weems family at the Smith Grocery, ca. 1953.  L-R:  Margaret Weems, Charlie Weems, William Weems White (child), Monroe "Uncle Pike" Weems, Lige Weems, and Ruby Weems.  Photo from Dorothy Brown of Dothan.

Big Day Columbia 1914
 
 

First House in Columbia

Mill Dam
 
 

Columbia Band

Woods Mill
 
 

Flood

Flood Damage
 
 

Woman on Roof During Flood

1928 Flood
 
 

Columbia Depot on South Koonce Street. Built in 1889 and demolished in the 1960s.


Columbia Depot on South Koonce Street, view from the bottom of the hill. 
 
 

Current Columbia Depot, originally the Gordon, Al depot  it was purchased by the Columbia Historical Society. It was renovated and moved to Columbia. 

Abbeville Road
 
 

Baptizing Grounds
 
   
The school bell from the old elementary school

Toll Bridge
   

Columbia Institute

Columbia Downtown, 1920s
   

Cotton Mill


College
   

Bates Hyrdro-Power Plant near Kelso in the 1920s

Bates Hyrdro-Power Plant near Kelso in the 1920s, sideview.

Columbia Historical Society
www.columbiahistoricalsocietyofalabama.org . Site Map . Links

Design, Hosting and Promotion by Acorn Internet Services, Inc